Finally, Google’s messaging app “Google Allo” is here and it is the second part of Google’s new messaging plan. The first one is Google Duo which is a video calling app, being the first half. Currently, there are a number of messaging apps, having various features and unique ways to go about messaging. The design pattern of Google Allo resembles WhatsApp most because “WhatsApp” is the world’s top messaging app and people find a lot of merits in WhatsApp and hence Google has modeled Allo after it.
Google had announced the Allo and Duo project at the I/O in May 2016. While Google Duo was launched on 16th August 2016, the company on Wednesday i.e. 21st September 2016 rolled out Google Allo for both iOS and Android users. Google Allo is a new smart messaging app that lets you do more than just chatting. It can help you to make plans, search information, and be more expressive in chat. The phone-based app is free and available in the Play Store.
While the cool Artificial Intelligence functionalities of the app are a big threat to many other messaging apps, the popular app WhatsApp that needs to worry more.
Similarity between Google Allo and WhatsApp
Though Google Allo seems way more interesting than WhatsApp, as there many similarities between the two. Like WhatsApp, Google Allo also requires your phone number to activate the app and it clearly indicates that you cannot use the same Allo account on two different phones. Both messaging apps can be used to share multimedia files like images, videos, voice messages, and stickers.
The user of the both the messaging apps can draw over the images using the given pen tool. But we must admit that Allo is richer in terms of stickers as it comes with a large number of sticker packs to choose from. Both messaging apps also have the Quick Reply from Notifications feature, although you cannot type your reply in the case of Allo. You only opt from what the smart virtual assistant inbuilt inside the app gives you. The AI (Artificial Intelligence) will give you suggestions for a reply and you need to choose from it. Both apps have the option to create group chats and even mute or delete them.
Differences between Google Allo and WhatsApp
The biggest difference is the smart AI (Artificial Intelligence) in Allo. While WhatsApp is a simple-looking messaging app with having basic features, Allo allows you to do a lot more than just chat. The Google Assistant support in Allo lets you search flights, movie halls, hotels, flights and lot of other things directly from the app.
While both messaging apps assure end-to- end encryption for the chats, Google Allo allows selective end-to-end encrypted chats, which means through its Incognito chat mode you can select the contact you wish to chat with in incognito mode. This chat will be encrypted as well as the chat history will disappear after you have finished the talk when you have set an expiration period. You can set your expiration period for the chats, ranging from 5 seconds to maximum one week. The chat will expire once the conversation is over. In case, you have switched off your expiration period, the chats won’t disappear.
Text formatting options are also different for the two messaging apps. While in WhatsApp you can bold, italicise or strikethrough your text, Google Allo lets you increase or decrease the text size by sliding the send button up and down respectively.
But at the same time, WhatsApp also allows a user to make calls directly from the app using the internet connection. On Allo, this functionality is missing.
So, Allo or WhatsApp?
Allo appears to better, at least in terms of design, functionalities and cool features. Though WhatsApp has the advantage of being the most popular chat app in the world. Everyone already uses it. So you will find everyone already on it. And that is also the biggest problem for Allo. People use apps to chat with other people. If they find their friends on Allo, they will use it. But if they don’t, WhatsApp will continue to rule the roost. It is all about how fast Google can bring users to Allo. But as an app, it surely is a well-made chat app.
Here are some features of Google Allo
- Respond without typing, in your style. Smart Reply lets you keep the conversation moving with a single tap by suggesting text and emoji responses based on your personality. For example, it learns if you’re more of a “haha” or “lol” person so the more you use Google Allo, the more “you” the suggestions become.
- Shout, or whisper it, to get your point across. Add more meaning to your words by adjusting the size of your text. When you need more than ALL CAPS to get your point across, simply slide up to shout, and down to the whisper.
- Turn any photo into a work of art. Get creative with the photos you send by doodling on them or adding text. Draw a smiley face, turn your friends into memes, and mix in some colour.
- Say it all with the perfect sticker. Stickers in Google Allo are designed by independent artists and studios from around the world. From Drama Llama to Food Party, add some fun to the conversation when words aren’t enough.
- Get help from your Google Assistant without leaving the conversation. Your Assistant can suggest restaurants nearby or movies to check out, right in your conversation. Find videos to share, get directions, and seek answers together with your friends. Just add @google, and your Assistant is ready to help.
- Chat one-on-one with your Google Assistant, whenever you need it. Get the latest scores from the game. Find out how far you are from the airport, and when your flight leaves. You decide what to share with your Assistant, and the more you use it, the more useful it gets.
- Say it privately in Incognito mode. Start an incognito chat to send a message with end-to-end encryption. Incognito mode also comes with expiring chats so you can control how long your messages stick around and private notifications to help keep your chats more discreet.
So why you are waiting just download Google Allo from PlayStore and check out the amazing features. The phone-based app is free and available in the Play Store.