This week, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is in the United States to meet with the new US president, Donald Trump at the White House today.
Narendra Modi is an Indian politician who is the 14th and current Prime Minister of India, in office since May 2014. He was the Chief Minister of Gujarat from 2001 to 2014 and is the Member of Parliament for Varanasi.
Donald Trump is the 45th and current President of the United States, in office since January 20, 2017. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality and he is the first US president without prior governmental or military experience.
Here are the key takeaways from the meeting of Narendra Modi and Donald Trump
US President Donald John Trump said
- During the joint press conference after delegation-level talks “I have always had a deep admiration for your country and your people, the rich culture and traditions. It’s the great honor to welcome the leader of the world’s largest democracy. You have a true friend in the White House…our ties have never been stronger and better”
- India is the fastest growing economy in the world. We hope we will be catching up you very soon. You have a big vision for improving infrastructure and fighting corruption.
- I am proud to say that PM Modi and I are world leaders in social media.
- PM Modi invited my daughter Ivanka to lead US delegation to the global entrepreneurship in India, and I believe she has accepted it.
- The security partnership between the US and India is incredibly important. Both our nations have been struck by the evils of terrorism and we are both determined to destroy terrorist organizations and the radical ideology that drives them. We will destroy radical Islamic terrorism.
- The North Korean regime is causing tremendous problems and is something that has to be dealt with — and probably dealt with rapidly,”
- The U.S. and Indian militaries, together with Japan’s Maritime Self-Defense Force, will hold “the largest maritime exercise ever conducted in the vast Indian Ocean” next month.
- He expressed pleasure about an order by an Indian airline company for 100 new American planes, calling it one of the largest orders of it is kind, which will support thousands and thousands of American jobs.
- He is looking forward to exporting more energy to fast-growing India, including major long-term contracts for American natural gas currently under negotiation between the two governments.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Damodardas Modi said
- Our talks today are an important moment in the cooperation between our nations. We held talks on the wide range of issues pertaining to the India-USA relationship.
- Both India and USA are global engines of growth.
- My vision of “New India” and your vision of “Make America Great Again” have synergies.
- Both US and India have been struck by evils of terrorism. We discussed the problems arising due to terrorism and radicalisation. Fight against terrorism and their safe havens is an important part of our cooperation.
- PM Modi invited US President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump to visit India.
- The two leaders also affirmed increased cooperation in ensuring peace and stability in Afghanistan, as well as in the fight against terrorism.
- Without mentioning China’s growing naval presence in and around the Indian Ocean, Modi said maintaining peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region is a major objective of strategic cooperation between Washington and New Delhi.